May 11, 2010

Just Tell Me What Time It Is...



Blue Mesa Group's co-founder and Consulting Practice Leader, Patricia Barlow, shares this week's post with us. Both a coach and a consultant, Pat is a former Vice President at Citigroup's global headquarters and she's served in the top global HR leadership roles at Merck and Co., Inc. before her retirement in 2006. Learn more about Pat Barlow here.


“What time is it, Linda?”

“Oh, before I tell you the time, let me show this new watch I got for my birthday. I had a great day, and got many presents and this watch was one of my favorites. I also liked the new dress I got. My sister knew exactly what color and style I would like. Actually, the watch matches my dress perfectly. And, this watch was made in Switzerland. And you know what great watchmakers they are, such precision.”


“Arghhhhh," I say in my head, "I just wanted to know the time.”

Why are people compelled to either tell you everything there is to know about their topic at hand or wander off topic when answering a question? I’m not sure, but I would guess that it is rooted in insecurity. Maybe they feel it is important to demonstrate how much they know about something, assuming that you want to hear it. Or, is it a lack of self-discipline?


It is a crucial shortcoming on the leadership development journey. Individual contributors forget that their topic isn’t the only one that the people around them are interested in or have the capacity to capture.


In business, people who figure out how to be succinct are highly valued. It is the succinct communicators that we all, as leaders, count on and seek out. They are able to articulate key points and, at the same time, are prepared to provide more detail if asked.


We have asked people who have this bad communications habit why they do it. The most frequent answer is, “My boss needs to be well versed in my functional area. My boss needs to listen deeply and learn all there is to know about my area. She might not handle it well with her boss if she doesn’t know as much as I know about my area.” Really? Think again. You are probably selling your boss short, and in the end, your lack of self-awareness could thwart your career advancement.


The ability to synthesize information is a skill that is highly valued and worth developing. As coaches, we can help you recognize your unproductive habits and encourage you learn to become an effective communicator.

And, if a colleague asks you what time it is…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation!

In the spirit of community and productivity, we do reserve the right to restrict comments that do no contribute constructively to the conversation.

ShareThis